Cancer metastasis is responsible for 90% of cancer related deaths. In breast cancer, metastasis occurs mostly via the lymphatic system. The lymphatic nodes that are closest to a tumour are the most likely route for the cancer cells to first enter the lymphatic system and are referred to as the sentinel lymph nodes (SLN).
Diagnosing the presence of cancerous cells within the SLN is therefore critical to provide optimum treatment plans. The gold standard is currently the Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SLNB). SLNB however comes with several drawbacks.
The HypoSens imaging system is strategically designed to offer a minimally invasive alternative to the SLNB. The device is a prognostic solution for clinicians towards, once validated more accurate and fast diagnosis and personalised treatment options.
Why use HypoSens system
The photonics system uses tumour targeted nano-confined sensors for intracellular temperature and oxygen sensing.
HypoSens does not require surgery to test the lymph node status.
HypoSens will produce results in real-time.
The nano-confined sensor particles will be able to monitor both temperature and dissolved oxygen. Coupling the nano-sensors with target antigens ensures the proper identification of the targeted tumour cells.
The prognosis system does not release any ionising radiation.
The device will incorporate a “plug and play” architecture which will render it easy to operate.
Due to the compact nature of the imaging system, the development of HypoSens will result in a decrease in the diagnostic costs associated with metastatic breast cancer.
- A #nanosensor is a very small (i.e. nanoscale) system capable of detecting and responding to some type of input fro… https://t.co/jE8X24AkUY
- The tumour starts in a localised place, but later on these cells can invade surrounding tissues or even spread to o… https://t.co/FKHU00uI44
- The presence of certain receptors detected serve as biomarkers for evaluating the type of #cancer. The receptor sta… https://t.co/NAz3PxaSCg
- Generally, the type of #BreastCancer is related to the origin of the growth of cancer cells and the most common one… https://t.co/isFuvmszCV
- @EU_H2020 However, the majority of the people who suffer from #breastcancer have no connection to these risk factor… https://t.co/80RslEK43E
- @EU_H2020 Some environmental risk factors that could increase the probabilities would be exposition to chest radiat… https://t.co/GWwqOYL08t
- @EU_H2020 Therefore, pregnancy and breastfeeding decrease the risk while the birth control pills may raise it. Rea… https://t.co/EI55Our7kI
- @EU_H2020 A key aspect also to consider is the #menstrual and #reproductive history: increase in the level of oestr… https://t.co/BpIAeHbUgS